With the awareness of cancer at its high, the number of charities popping up has skyrocketed almost instantly. Walk down a street and you will find something that is interested in helping out the patients who suffer from cancer but might not be able to pay for the treatment. The way charities work is that they organize awareness drives, donation camps, fundraiser events and the like and transfer all the proceeds either to research institutes or hospitals that help in curing cancer patients. However, this has opened up a lot of fraudulent “trusts” and it is best to know details about them before making a donation to make sure your money doesn’t go waste. Here, we look at some of the most famous and prestigious cancer charities.
Breast Cancer Research Foundation
Probably the most popular and active cancer foundation in the country, this one’s main objective is to rid the world of breast cancer. It was started in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder and is currently the only one rated at A+, the highest, by the AIP. Since its inception in 1993, it has raised over $220 million through partnerships with various corporations and companies. Recently, a study has shown that it has donated almost $30 million to research on cancer at various universities.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
This too is another breast cancer foundation that is currently running a rating “A” from the AIP. It was founded by Nancy G. Brinker in memory of her sister Susan G. Komen who died of breast cancer. Corporate partners of this one include BMW and New Balance and the total proceeds so far have been over $330 million. This foundation has the policy of donating 84% of all proceeds, keeping the rest for its functioning costs, which is among the least in all the foundations today.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Research Center
This foundation is more focused on personal attention to patients rather than supporting cancer research on a whole. While there are donations to universities and hospitals, it also offers services to refer patients to the best possible hospital. It even has its own hospital that is a well known cancer treatment centre.
As you can see, there are several foundations that can help you or someone close to you with their problem. Just approach them and see if you can get any advice. Moreover, if you were able to fight this disease, please go ahead and donate and help others do the same.
- U.S. cancer death rates continue to drop
- Lung cancer likely to overtake breast cancer as the main cause of cancer death among European women
- Squeezing Breasts Can Help Fight Breast Cancer
- Enzyme offers new therapeutic target for cancer drugs
- HPV Vaccine May Prevent Recurrence of Precancerous Conditions
- Survival Rate of Cancer Patients in Korea Ranked in the Top in the World
- Kids’ leukemia risk raised by dads who smoke
- Transplant recipients have a high risk of developing cancer
- CDC recommends that boys get vaccinated against HPV
- Cancer survivor population over 65 to increase over next decade